[A fuller collection of Davey Jones’ photos can be found in a DropBox, with just a selection given here. Please add “courtesy Davey Jones” if you share]
The long standing tradition (since 1969 according to Club Records) of a Boxing Day 10 Miles Time Trial was continued in great style for another year, with bikes ranging from the previous day’s Christmas gift, through a delivery bicycle, to a machine dating back to 1898.
Several guest riders were in attendance including Darth Vader, Santa Claus, a Christmas pudding and a penguin. Various modes of dress were also seen, with Madam Chairman looking most elegant in her evening wear; a friend of the Club from Team Trident showing off his very fetching new pink afro hairdo; a most attractive cross-dressing Club mate; and one or two testers actually in full TT rig.
A few family groups rode the course ahead of the event, with their children who are not yet old enough to compete at this discipline on an open road. There were also several juniors >12yrs competing, together with a good mix of seniors and veterans, men and women. The start list had forty eight riders in total, which was more than for quite a few years.
A splendid buffet lunch with good banter was provided back at HQ. Generous contributions from many Club Members and friends ensured that no one left hungry.
James McPherson was fastest Nomad on the day – both on actual time and final, handicapped time (but that was very close, with Chris Batt needing to have been either a year older or just 3 secs faster to have got this one).
There were several 2-up Teams, including father and daughter, brother and sister, husband and wife. Quickest were team mates from Stevenage CC, Neil Fraser and Mark Vooght, who are not related as far as your reporter is aware.
Overall fastest actual time was regular attendee on the Briercliffe 10 course, Lindz Barral from Equipe Velo. Just 3 seconds back was 15 yrs old junior Cody Nelson from Beds Road CC, who was spotted warming up on rollers at HQ before the event (definitely one to watch, this one).
Colin Holmes from VTTA L&HC had the overall fastest final time on handicap, showing all the youngsters how it should be done.
Following a secret ballot of the Award Committee, the Alan Porter trophy for most meritorious performance was given to Sue Clifford-Smith, who took 20 mins off her previous best time at this event. Her training base in the Netherlands is clearly working and in the 2018 edition she is expected to complete the distance before she starts.
Detailed results are shown below, listed in rider number order rather than competition placing (as befits an event that is mostly about having fun and not so much about the numbers).
|#||Rider||Pre-1950 machine||Rider Age >40||Actual Time||Final Time|
|27||Luke Senechal (jnr)||38:56||38:56|
2-up Teams (HNCC and Private Time Trials)
|#||Rider||Club / Team||Actual Time|
|5||Ella Ruggles (jnr)||HNCC|
|7||Karen Pegg||not attached|
|9||Hannah Wilson||not attached|
|10||Ben Wilson||not attached||42:24|
Private Time Trials (solo riders)
|#||Rider||Pre-1950 machine||Rider Age >40||Club / Team||Actual Time||Final Time|
|17||Cody Nelson (jnr)||BRCC||27:20||27:20|
|25||Poppy Young||not attached||45:21||45:21|
|40||Colin Holmes||73||VTTA L&HC||34:33||27:01|
Clubs / Teams:
- BRCC – Bedforshire Road Cycling Club
- HNCC – Hitchin Nomads Cycling Club
- IRC – Icknield Road Club
- LRC – Lampard Road Club
- SNC – Stevenage Cycling Club
- SNCC – St Neots Cycling Club
- TT – Team Trident
- VCC – Veteran Cycle Club
- VCSR – Velo Club St Raphael
- VTTA L&HC – Veteran Time Trial Association, London & Home Counties
Note on Handicaps to give Final Time
- Solid Tyres: -13.5% (none this year)
- Pre-1950 Machine: 8 secs per year
- Rider Age: 12 secs per year >40 + 1 sec per year >47 + 1 sec per year >55 + 1 sec per year >63 + 1 sec per year >71 (age handicaps are missing for those not declaring age at sign on nor responding to Event Organiser’s subsequent queries)
- Event Organiser & Reporter: Nick Hickman
- Time Keeper: Frank Turner
- Assistant Time Keeper: Tony Furby
- Results Board: Ann Collins
Number Spotters: Leanne Cutler, Nigel Wilson
- Props: Mark Loosely, Chris Jones
- Kitchen Captain: Meli Fletcher
- Kitchen Crew: Helen Ruggles, Jean Furby, Denise Pegg, Jane Hickman
- Photography: Davey Jones
* for Club Members these count as a “help” in the tally for the Geoff Denny Memorial Trophy award for person who has assisted at most events run by HNCC