Given the current weather conditions, the forecast and in view of the risks associated with travel to the event, the condition of the course and the effect of cold and possibly wet weather on young people participating, a decision has been made to cancel the Muddy Monsters Event on Butts Close in Hitchin on Saturday 3rd March.
Nick Senechal, Hitchin Nomads Cycling Club
Muddy monsters is a fun introduction to cycle racing to be held on Butts Close, Hitchin on Saturday 3rd March. This is ideal for young people who love riding their bikes and can manage to ride consistently for up to 15 minutes (10 minutes for the younger riders). Age categories are: Under 6, under 8, under 10, under 12, under 14 and under 16.
Each rider gets the chance to compete in three races: sprint, endurance and handicap. There will be separate races for older and younger age groups, although some age groups may be combined.
The event is open to all, but parents MUST accompany and register their children to ride. Registration is on the day only and costs £4.00. Registration will open from 9:15:am
The first race is at 10:00 (practice on the course from 9:30) and we aim to finish the last race at 12:00 for prize giving.
Participants require (and will not be allowed to ride unless they have):
- A bike that fits them in good mechanical order with two working brakes (BMX, Mountain bikes, Cyclo cross, road or hybrid bikes will all be acceptable – some tread on the tyre to give traction on grass is ideal)
- A properly fitting crash helmet
Sensible, non-baggy clothing and gloves or mitts are strongly recommended
ACCESS TO THE COURSE AND PARKING
The course is short walk or ride from the centre of Hitchin. PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO PARKING FOR COMPETITORS ON BUTTS CLOSE FIELD. However there are several car parks within a short distance:
- Hitchin Swimming Pool (pay and display) off Fishponds Road (overflow car park across the road may be open if this is full)
- Christchurch Car Park (pay and display) off Bedford Road
- The Lairage multi-story off the A505 next to Waitrose
There is also some on-street parking in the surrounding area for those arriving early.